Monday, March 12, 2012

Incredible, Edible Art!

Cake (left) Still life of Flowers in a Glass Vase by Rachel Ruysch (Right)

Cake (left) Controlled Substances Key Painting (Spot 4a) by Damien Hirst

Cake (top) Autumn Rhythm, No. 30 by Jackson Pollock (bottom)

Cakes (top) Cakes by Wayne Thiebaud (bottom)

Cake (left) Adele Bloch Bauer by Gustav Klimt

All cakes from the Fall 2010 issue of Martha Stuart Weddings


The things I stumble upon from my Google searches amazes me sometimes. I was looking for a Damien Hirst print for my room and I came across a cake inspired by one of his Spot Paintings.
 My curiosity caused me to come a collection of cakes that were inspired by famous artwork. Leave it to Martha Stewart to have a photo spread of cake artwork. These cakes are so beautiful!
I really like all of the cakes! However I don't think I would be able to  put my fork into the cake inspired by Rachel Ruysch's Still life of Flowers in a Glass Vase. It looks too realistic with those sugar flowers, which must have taken forever!
Wayne Thiebaud's cake inspiration is very amusing. It looks exactly like the painting! (except for the cake stands of course- Thiebaud neglected to put paint a base to the cake stands)
I wish I could have the skills to create a cake masterpiece!
The Hirst and Pollock inspired cakes seem simple though. All I would need is a cookie cutter and fondant for Hirst's. And lot's of different color chocolate to splatter for the Pollock cake.

1 comment: